The story of Christ Memorial Reformed Church began on August 8, 1956, when eleven families from Trinity Reformed Church in Holland met to consider founding a new Reformed church on the southwest side of Holland due to the growing population on this side of Holland. Trinity Reformed leadership felt their church was getting too large, and the southwest side would be a good place for a new church start.
On November 13, 1956, a steering committee of five men was elected to formulate preliminary plans to organize a new church. On Sunday, November 25, 1956, the first service was held in Montello Park School gym.
On January 23, 1957, 41 families met to form the congregation; and on February 17, 1957, the first consistory of 12 men was installed. A second congregational meeting was held on March 26, 1957; and five potential names for the new church were suggested: Charity, Covenant, Grace, Christ, and Memorial. The name of Christ Memorial Reformed Church was selected.