Dear Christ Memorial Church,
One of the most important decisions we make as a congregation is bringing forward those who lead us in our pursuit of outfitting the church to influence the world. Will you prayerfully nominate candidates from the Christ Memorial Church body for lead elder, care and connection elder, and deacon?
After you nominate someone, they will be asked if they wish to serve. Those who sense God calling them will proceed through a vetting process. Once a list of names of those called to serve is prayed over and affirmed by the leadership community/full consistory, it will be presented to the whole church. Those called by God and the church will serve as leaders in one of the groups below for the next three years.
The leadership roles we are asking you to nominate people for are …
- Lead Elders: Entrusted with prayerfully guiding the mission and vision of the church, ensuring everything is done in good and proper order, and providing pastoral leadership to the congregation.
- Care and Connection Elders: Entrusted with congregational care, administration of sacraments, and membership.
- Deacons: Entrusted with local and global engagement including church ministry, service, and missions, as well as providing care for the physical needs of church members, the local community, and the world.
Please ask God to reveal to you the names of people with the ability to lead our congregation in living out the mission, vision, and values of Christ Memorial Church as stated on the back of this letter. There are several ways in which you can nominate those that God has placed on your heart:
- E-mail your names with the position you are nominating them for to Katie Prins at KatieP@christmemorial.org (There will also be a link in the e-news).
- Write down your names with the position you are nominating them for and submit them to the attendant at the Info Center in the lobby on Sundays. You may also give them to the receptionist at the church office during the week in an envelope marked “Katie Prins.” There will be nominating cards at both locations.
- Mail your names with the position you are nominating them for to: Christ Memorial Church, Attn: Katie Prins, 595 Graafschap Rd., Holland, MI 49423.
Please visit HERE to see the list of those who are currently serving as they are ineligible.
As you consider nominating candidates, know that our process is being refined and includes an informational meeting for initial understanding of positions and a time to ask questions. We also have established an orientation for new leaders to better inform them of systems, personnel, and resources.
The final day to submit nominations will be Sunday, February 5, 2023.
Thank you for being a part of God’s work calling forth leaders to serve!
David VanOpstall, Becca Dernberger
Lead Pastor of Formation and Teaching VP Lead Elders
MISSION- Why we are here.
Christ Memorial Church exists in order to outfit the church to influence the world.
VISION- Who we are becoming.
Christ Memorial is a loving community of Christ-followers committed to becoming more and more like Jesus- the hope of the world. We are propelled by the Father’s transformative love, the empowering grace of Jesus, and the mending guidance of the Holy Spirit. We intentionally foster loving relationships that guide everyone to healing community. We purposefully serve to restore hearts, lives, families, neighborhoods, and cities to vigor and hope. Simply stated, because of God’s calling and the Spirit’s strength, we think, love, and serve, like Jesus.
VALUES- How we are going to get there.
Think: We value everyone’s journey of growing more and more like Jesus. In the letter to the Romans, Paul’s eternal word of challenge and encouragement is this: “Do not conform to the pattern of this world but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is – his good, pleasing and perfect will.” (Romans 12:2) Through the Word of God and by God’s Spirit, we will rise above the popular, commonplace, and binary ways of viewing God, the world, and others, and begin to think like Jesus. With this mind, we commit to overcoming all that divides, and seek to bring unity to a broken world.
Love: There is no greater command or value in the entirety of the Bible than love (Matt. 22:37-40; John 13:34-35, 15:12; Romans 13:8-10; Gal. 5:14). In fact, in 1 John 4:16, we are told “God is love.” Because Jesus insists that the world will know who he is based on our love for each other, we commit to caring for, bearing with, encouraging, and loving one another. This includes following Jesus’ example of personal sacrifice, to ensure everyone experiences acceptance, healing, dignity, and hope through our words, actions, and attitudes.
Serve: We are blessed to be a blessing. We have been given much so that we can give. We commit our time, talents, and tithes to restoration of all things that are broken. This includes our service to one another, our world, and God’s creation. Each member is expected to discover God’s S.H.A.P.E. and purpose for their life, and use it to serve God’s glory through prayer, partnership, and provision. From the least to the greatest, we all have something to contribute to God’s unfolding story.